• Discovered - The cultural program for visitors, aged 1 to 99, at the Gelato Village for the Gelato World Tour - the world's foremost celebration of Gelato
• Who will win the title "World's Best Gelato - East Asia Region"?
• 4 to 6 September 2015, Komazawa Olympic Park, Tokyo
Tokyo, 2 September 2015 – The eyes of food lovers across the world will be on Tokyo as it is going to become the Gelato Capital of the World. The Press conference of the much-anticipated second stage of Gelato World Tour will take place at the Komazawa Olympic Park at 2pm on Friday, September 4th, 2015, while the public will be able to taste all the flavors on Saturday, September 5th, and Sunday, September 6th.
The Gelato World Tour, which has the patronage of the Italian Ministry of Foreign Affairs and of Economic Development, is the first international traveling competition in search of the best flavors in the world. Gelato World Tour has already toured eight Gelato Capitals – Rome, Valencia, Melbourne, Dubai, Austin, Berlin, Rimini and Singapore – and is directed by the renowned Carpigiani Gelato University and Sigep – Rimini Fiera, the most important trade fair in the world for the artisan creation of gelato, pastry, confectionery and bakery products. Three important partners make this event possible: IFI, international leader in the manufacturing of display cases for gelaterias; PreGel, the world’s largest producer of ingredients for gelato, pastry and coffee shops, official licensee of EXPO Milano 2015; and Rancilio Group, an Italian company with a long, distinguished tradition of producing professional coffee machines featuring well-advanced technology and design since 1927. This new synergy between gelato and coffee, style icons and timeless Italian specialties, will take the tastiest culinary traditions of the “Bel Paese” on a journey to the Land of the Rising Sun. Last but not least, Prodea Group is the operating partner.
“Our 16 Gelato artisans have vast experience and expertise between them, producing a sumptuous array of flavors. Many also emphasize the nutritious potential of one of the world’s most popular desserts: Gelato is high in proteins, calcium and vitamin B2, while containing around half the fat of typical industrial ice creams. The Tokyo’s stage will be an exciting and fruitful competition,” said Achille Sassoli, Director of the Gelato World Tour.
Highlights of the 3-Day Event
Entry is FREE for all visitors. The program will include (on a first-come-first-served basis):
• Mini Courses for adults and children by the gelato chefs of Carpigiani Gelato University on “What is Gelato?” Participants will also be the firsts to hear more details about the 4-week program that teaches participants on how they can become successful gelato entrepreneurs
• How to open a gelato shop? Educational workshops by Academia IFI
• Tonda Challenge by IFI
• "Stack it high" show down by PreGel, how many scoops of gelato can fit into a cone
• Discover the secrets of gelato “Always FrescoTM” with PreGel
• A Journey into the World of Coffee! Mini Courses run by IIAC Japan and the famous Japanese barista Chihiro Yokoyama: adults and children will discover the ancient techniques of coffee-making with Rancilio Classe11 Xcelsius
• Espresso Time! A selection of 6 Japanese roasters (Toho Food Service, Kotobukiya Coffee, Narita Coffee, UCC, Camel Coffee and Capital Coffee) will reveal their secrets during special workshops realized in the Rancilio Group area.
To download the detailed 3-day program, please see: http://www.gelatoworldtour.com/event/program/
• Saturday, September 5th at 10am: Opening Ceremony with a Ribbon Cutting
• Saturday, September 5th at 3.15pm: Mastering Gelato Cake Creation by Chef Emori. A live show to discover the magic world of Gelato Pastry
• Sunday, September 6th at 10.50am: Technical Jury Evaluations. The Gelato Artisans present to the judges their signature flavors. Each flavor is judged according to three parameters: flavor, presentation and structure.
• Sunday, September 6th at 3pm: Awards Ceremony for the World’s Best Gelato – East Asia Stage, the Tonda Challenge by IFI,‘ Stack it high” showdown by PreGel and Rancilio “espresso culture champion”. Witness the emotional moment when gelato artisans are rewarded for their dedication and hard work to their craft.
Throughout the three days, visitors to the event will be delighted by the amazing flavors freshly created on the spot and presented by new and seasoned gelato artisans from the East Asia region as they pit themselves against each other in the quest to win the prestigious “World’s Best Gelato” title.
Visitors will vote for their favorite gelato flavor from the top 16 finalists with a FREE Gelato Ticket, which can be received at the INFO POINT located in the Gelato World Tour Village (upon registration, on www.gelatoworldtour.com). Each ticket allows 6 tasting portions in mini cones. Every person can get maximum 1 ticket. The combined votes of three Juries: the Public, the Technical and the Colleagues will determine the top three flavors to represent the East Asia region at the Grand Finale of Gelato World Tour 2.0 to be held in Rimini, Italy in 2017.
List of the Top 16 Flavors Vying for the title of “WORLD’S BEST GELATO”
• Salted Pistachio and Orange Vanilla Mascarpone by Taizo Shibano, Malga Gelato, Nonoichi, Japan
• Caribbean Moment by Goro Sugiyama & Akiko Motomura, La Napoli, Tokyo, Japan
• Samurai Zen (Caramel Houji Tea) by Kazuki Kawarada & Akiko Tagami & Shouhei Takegami, Samurai Gelato, Fukuoka, Japan
• Chocolate Banana & Nuts by Jun Tanaka & Shinzato Kaoru, Vito Atelier, Fukuoka, Japan
• Rum Nuts by Yosuke Nakai, Gelateria Sincerità, Tokyo, Japan
• Amalfi Coconuts with Meringue by Munehisa Tomoyuki & Munehisa Tomoko, L’oiseau Bleu, Yamaguchi, Japan
• Natsumatsuri (Summer Festival) by Akira Hattori, La Verdure, Yokohama, Japan
• Yogurt with Honey, Berry Sauce and a hint of Rose by Kazuma Nagasawa, Syokuto Hananoeki Agritown, Sano, Japan
• The Concert of the Forest by Shohei Nakagawa & Nakagawa Mariko, Shinpachi, Tokyo, Japan
• Panda (Bamboo and Black Beans) by Atsushi Kurisaki, Claret, Kobe, Japan
• Roasted Pumpkin by Yuki Nakatsuka & Tamaki Namiko & Waki Masanori, La Dolce Vita, Sakai, Japan
• La Dolce Vita di Tè by Yu Lee & Amber Lin, NINAO Gelato Classico, Tainan, Taiwan
• Soy of Cheesecake by Seongdeok Park & Daesoo Park, Dolcefreddo, Daegu, South Korea
• White Passion by Andrea Bonaffini, Yellow Lemon, Taipei, Taiwan
• Burning Chocolate by Michiko Akamatsu, Royal Farm Akamatsu, Takamatsu, Japan
• Delizie al Limone (A Memory of Amalfi) by Yoshifumi Arita, Arita, Nagasaki, Japan
The President of the Technical Jury is Mr. Kato, President of the Japanese Association of Pastry Chefs, and the Vice President is Mr. Mochizuki, Vice President of the Japanese Association of Gelato. Also in the jury Rita Giuliana Mannella (Italian Embassy in Japan), Mr. Yanai (FMI Team Consultant), Mr Ueki (Onesto Srl President), Mr. Hiraiwa (free-lance Journalist), Mr. Niimura (Ice Cream Press), Mr. Yamauchi (Ice Cream Distribution Journal Spa), Nino Lentini (Ristorante da Nino),Ms Veronica Tae-Ahn Kang, Adjunct Professor of Culinary & Food & Beverage Management, Sejong Cyber University (Korea).
To follow the stages of Gelato World Tour: www.gelatoworldtour.com. On social media: Facebook – Gelato World Tour; Twitter – Gelato World Tour; Flickr – Gelato World Tour; Instagram @gelatoworldtour; Hashtag: #gelatoworldtour.
For more information
Valentina Righi – PR & Communication Manager Gelato World Tour +65 912 46 103 – email@example.com